The Rotary Club of San Marino sponsors Interact Clubs at San Marino High School, Southwestern Academy and Huntington Middle School.
Meals Received by Rise Against Hunger’s (RAH) In-Country Partner: Children of Vietnam in Vietnam
Aug 23, 2017
San Marino Rotarians and Interactors are delighted to announce that some of the meals from our meal 10,000 meal packaging event on 4/14/2017 have been received by Rise Against Hunger’s (RAH) in-country partner: Children of Vietnam in Vietnam.
Children of Vietnam (COV) is an organization dedicated to building bright futures for vulnerable children through life changing initiatives. COV envisions a future where Vietnam’s children have within their reach the life necessities to achieve their full potential. The organization works toward this future by education, healing, sheltering and nurturing. COV’s nutrition initiatives serves regular meals to more than 8,000 children through schools, orphanages, pagodas, or community programs aimed at street children. In 2016, Children of Vietnam supported 16,406 beneficiaries with more than 1,140,480 RAH meals.
Proceeds from our December 7 Rotary on the Town Party for a Cause with the Chinese Club of San Marino at the San Marino Center will be used to raise the $7,500 required to package 25,000 meals in the spring of 2018 at the HMS Cafeteria.
First Semester Report – December, 2016
Happy Holidays! Our Huntington Middle School Rotary Interact Club thanks you for your support. We have had a great first semester of 2016, accomplishing the following:
- Recycling campus water bottles and juice cans to earn $300 toward our $500 for the District 5300 Water Project match with Rotary International and Circue de Soleil;
- Leveling the HMS Peace Garden with our PCC Veterans and HMS students to help SMHS Interact Vice President, Baxton Chen, complete his Eagle project;
- Selling plants and merchandise at the Hauntington Breakfast to raise $1000 to purchase a ShelterBox;
- Co-sponsoring the Huntington Middle School Food Drive with ASB;
- Setting up and selling plush animals to benefit the San Gabriel Valley Humane Society;
- Sponsoring our first “Party for a Cause” which, with our Plush Adoption event, raised a total of $1,320 for the SGVHS.
- Three after school Friday work parties to prepare for events.
- Handmade holiday ornaments for HMS faculty and staff.
Tentative HMS Interact semester II events include the following:
January: Martin Luther King, Jr. Recognition, Chinese New Year Chopstick Competition
February: Valentine’s Day and Mardi Gras Celebrations
March: Annual End Polio Now Relay
April: “Got Stuff?” Recycling Event; National Poetry Month Competition
May: Locker Clean Out Donation Event
June: San Marino Motor Classic Participation
July: 4th of July Riding on the Float Participation
May Peace Prevail on Earth,
Denise Wadsworth, HMS Rotary Interact Advisor
Interactors Sell Halloween Items at the Hauntington Breakfast
October 22, 2016
They carried plants and Halloween items around throughout the crowd to make sales. They made over $1000.00 and will be able to purchase a shelter box.
Photos by Natalie Petrillo